Students engage in an introductory lab experience and make silly putty.
Students get their hands deep into science when they combine two liquid substances and create their own silly putty to take home. Participants are encouraged to get a little messy and to think about the different ways they can work to change the substances. There are always lots of smiles and giggles during this experience.
Learners make estimates, measure & pour ingredients and observe & consider the structure and properties of matter. They plan and carry out the steps necessary to experience a chemical reaction in their own hands. (NGSS PS1A and PS1B)
In this program students are encouraged to conduct the experiments for themselves with limited assistance from chaperones.
This program is frequently combined our tour program during a field trip
This program can also be adapted for off-site, non-lab locations for groups of 40 or less.
- This program is available to visitors in first grade and up.
- There is a minimum of 15 students or a $135 charge.
- There is a maximum of 32 students on site in our lab.
- A lab is scheduled for 1.5 hours (approximately one hour in the lab and a half hour to explore the center).
- Larger groups may want to consider a combo program.
- The program is $9 per student, with one adult free with every 3 students.
- This program is available by appointment only.