Volunteer Position Department: Programs
Time Commitment: 1-3 hours per week, this is a weekend position.
Reports To: Education and Programs Coordinator
Mission: To engage our community in the joyful, active exploration of science and innovation.
SEE Science Center has been engaging visitors of all ages in the pursuit of science discovery for over 30 years through museum hands-on exhibits, school field trips, outreach programs, virtual field trips, summer camps, early learners programs and science demonstrations Founded by inventor Dean Kamen, SEE is located in 30,000 square feet in the Manchester Millyard and welcomes approximately 45,000 visitors annually.
The primary function of the Volunteer Play Facilitator is to lead free-play experiences and challenges with children ages 2-6 and their caregivers using Imagination Playground™ blocks. Play Facilitators will receive Imagination Playground Play Associate Training to encourage safe play experiences, prompt expanded play and manage interactions between participants of multiple ages. Play Facilitators will also have the opportunity to interact with caregivers and demonstrate the importance of free-play experiences and how caregivers can foster their child’s development through play.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Complete Play Facilitator training.
- Daily set-up of the play space and management of safety during play space interactions.
- Modelling of behavior including sharing, turn taking, and potential use of materials.
- Interacting with parents and answering questions about the value of free-play in childhood development.
- Sanitation of materials after each play session.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Ability to work well with others and interact with visitors.
- Patience and love of small children.
- An interest in early childhood development.
- All volunteers must pass a background check to work unsupervised around children.
- Ability to physically set-up and clean parts.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
All applicants will be considered for volunteer positions without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.