Volunteer Position Department: Exhibits
Time Commitment: 80-100 hours over 1 semester.
Reports To: Executive Director
Mission: SEE Science Center is where everyone can discover the excitement of STEM through fun, hands-on experiences.
This internship is reserved for a current student of color who attends the Manchester Public School System who is interested in pursuing a career in science or education. Students must be at least 16 years of age to apply. At the completion of this internship the student will receive a stipend of $1,000 paid for by our generous sponsor Sunrise Labs, Inc.
The SEE Science Center is looking for a high school intern to assist with the development of content and the visitor experience at SEE Science Center. As part of this internship, the Intern will work with SEE staff to develop a project with clear goals in the field of either exhibit design or programs which can be completed over a single semester. As the student works with staff on this project they will also get the opportunity to work with each of the Museum’s different full-time staff on small mini projects so that they get a better feel for the different types of jobs available in informal science education. The intern will receive feedback at multiple points throughout the course of this internship including a formal mid-term and final review on their performance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with your SEE Staff Advisor to develop project goals.
- Work with each member of SEE’s senior staff (5) total of mini projects throughout the course of your internship.
- Under supervision develop your project and create a final product.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be willing to work onsite at the Science Center during the pandemic.
- Ability to work well with others and interact with visitors.
- A passion for science and education.
- Ability to work on a project and follow through from goals to development.
- Ability to think critically and ask questions.
- All interns must pass a background check to work unsupervised around children.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to orate and speak to groups.
All applicants will be considered for volunteer positions without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Interested applicants should apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by October 13, 2020.